Thursday, April 21, 2011

Birthday Banner

One tradition I am excited to start with our family is to have a birthday banner for each of our kids that gets pulled out on their birthday - something classy and ageless that can be used from their 1st birthday to their 18th (and maybe beyond).  The more I think about these banners, I am thinking each child's will be different (style, colors ect.).

Lucy's birthday is less than two months away, and I have two inspiration banners that I LOVE right now:


And this: 


I love the pom poms because they are ageless - and seriously, is it possible to look at them and not smile? I think not. :) I would probably use grey/dark pink/light pink/green/white yarn - kinda the colors of her room and quilt. Lucy's colors. :) 

I love the idea of doing a paper banner - I probably wouldn't put text on the banner, but maybe numbers? 1-18? And then maybe put a picture of her on each of her birthdays on the back of each "flag?" I love the texture behind each "flag" I am thinking lace, ric-rac, and ribbon? I would probably nix the ribbons between the "flags" mostly because I dont think they would transition to the teenage years (but it is SUCH a cute touch!). 

Do you know what is coming? That's right! I need your help (again!). I would like to know which one I am going to do before we leave for Michigan in a week. BECAUSE: if you guys choose the pom pom banner - I'll be making a mess with yarn in the car, something to keep my hands busy. And also, if you choose the paper "flag" banner, I will use my Mom-in-law's Cricket to cut out designs and numbers while in Michigan. :)

So what do you think? I thought we would try a poll this time, instead of voting like we have done in the past. :) The poll is on the left hand side of the blog - at the top, under the header. :) Let me know what you think! :) 

The poll closes at 6 pm on Sunday - so vote ASAP!

1 comment:

Somewhere Over The Rainbow said...

I vote for the first one...the yarn ball strand!! Love it. I think it could be a really great classic that would always been fun for Lucy!